How her passion for jellyfish led one woman to self-empowerment and a bid to save the planet | Life and style

How her passion for jellyfish led one woman to self-empowerment and a bid to save the planet | Life and style

Looking back, I see that jellyfish came to me when the haze of sleepless nights brought on by kids’ cries and the frenzy of cramming a working day into the scant hours of pre-school began to lift. And, even though I still looked good on Facebook, when I slowed down long enough to think, I felt lost and unfulfilled. That something inside had been waiting for the opportunity to climb out and look for more…

Read More

The Paris climate deal won’t save the world, but it does give us a chance

Bill McKibben is never one to praise official goings-on. But as the latest marathon UN climate talks closed with the most substantial global agreement ever on fighting climate change, even he could barely contain himself. “This agreement won’t save the planet,” McKibben tweeted late Saturday. “(But) it may have saved the chance to save the planet (if we all fight like hell in the years ahead).” That even McKibben, the dour éminence grise of the…

Read More

Can Businesses Save the Planet? Yes or No, Their Customers Expect Them to Try

Can Businesses Save the Planet? Yes or No, Their Customers Expect Them to Try

By Dave Hendrick   The world is expecting more and more from business. Newswise — BlackRock CEO Larry Fink caused a stir in early 2018 when he issued a letter to the CEOs of companies in which BlackRock invests. In it, he explicitly called on companies to disclose long-term strategies for how they will make a positive contribution to society. “Without a sense of purpose, no company, either public or private, can achieve its full…

Read More

Save the Planet: Sterilize Yourself – Slog

Save the Planet: Sterilize Yourself – Slog

Getty Images I was asked yesterday, possibly for the millionth time, whether or not my girlfriend and I plan to have babies. “No way,” I said. “I’m not a morning person. But sometimes my girlfriend does threaten to make us foster a problem teen someday. Hopefully same-sex fostering will be illegal by the time she’s ready.” I was kidding (mostly), but you’d think I’d slapped the ice cream cone out of a grandma’s hand with…

Read More

Save the planet with underwear you don’t have to change | News

Save the planet with underwear you don’t have to change | News

Organic Basics’ fabric is treated with silver salt from recycled sources to kill bacteria and fungiNot known Men can now save the planet with no effort thanks to high-tech, eco-friendly silver-plated pants that require little washing and claim to be “the world’s most advanced underwear”. The £20 boxer briefs are sold online under the slogan “Never wash your underwear again! (Just kidding. But seriously, you won’t need to wash your underwear for weeks with our…

Read More

Leilani Münter, champion of the child-free, urges women to save the planet | News

Leilani Münter, champion of the child-free, urges women to save the planet | News

When Leilani Münter realised that her relationship was getting serious she sat her boyfriend down to have a conversation about children. The professional racing car driver told him that she intended to remain “child-free” and if he felt differently they should probably break up there and then. That was 12 years ago and they have been happily married since 2009. “The only babies in our house have four legs and are furry,” she says, referring…

Read More

With Jupiter and Mars, Two Former Game Journalists Hope to Save the Planet

With Jupiter and Mars, Two Former Game Journalists Hope to Save the Planet

Full Disclosure: Jeremy Parish worked with James Mielke and Sam Kennedy, the creators of this game, back at 1UP. Of all the experiences I’ve had throughout my time in the gaming press, few have felt quite so surreal as interviewing the creators of Jupiter and Mars. Back in my time at 1UP.com, I formerly worked for both of the men behind TigerTron: James Mielke and Sam Kennedy. In fact, the two are responsible for giving…

Read More

These Badass Moms Are Raising Kids to Save the Planet

These Badass Moms Are Raising Kids to Save the Planet

Image: Elena Scott / Gizmodo Media Happy Mother’s Day, Eartherlings. I’m no mom yet, but you know what? Moms are amazing—especially those raising the kids who will turn this world around and stop our governments from burning fossil fuels past the point of no return. And some young people are really dedicated. From all around the world—in Colombia, India, and the U.S.—youth have been suing their state and federal governments to attempt to force them…

Read More

Help Save The Planet One Bottle at a Time

Help Save The Planet One Bottle at a Time

By Marcus Cox For those of us in Napa who were evacuated from our homes (the Sherriff woke us up at 1 am as a wall of 100 foot high flames advanced up the hill behind our place) we will never forget how close we came to losing our precious home (many of our friends were not so lucky). From December 2017 to February 2018 over 733,639 acres burned in the USA (there are massive…

Read More

Reading scientist urges families to have a meat free day to help save the planet

Reading scientist urges families to have a meat free day to help save the planet

Consumption of meat products has a huge impact on the increase of greenhouse gas emissions, a study has found. Credit: Getty Images A University of Reading scientist is urging families to have one meat free day a week to help save the planet. The notion of a meat free day a week has been forwarded as an essential step in reducing food-related carbon emissions and waste. But that’s not all families in Reading, Berkshire can…

Read More

How Oman’s Rocks Could Help Save the Planet

How Oman’s Rocks Could Help Save the Planet

IBRA, Oman — In the arid vastness of this corner of the Arabian Peninsula, out where goats and the occasional camel roam, rocks form the backdrop practically every way you look. But the stark outcrops and craggy ridges are more than just scenery. Some of these rocks are hard at work, naturally reacting with carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and turning it into stone. Veins of white carbonate minerals run through slabs of dark rock…

Read More

Time to switch to electric school buses to save the planet and money, group says

Time to switch to electric school buses to save the planet and money, group says

Students from A.I. duPont High School are dropped off in Hockessin, Del., on Feb. 15, 2017. A new report by environmentalists is calling for school districts to trade in diesel-burning school buses for electric models.  (Suchat Pederson/Wilmington News-Journal via AP) A new report by a group of environmental organizations is calling for the nation’s school districts to trade in their diesel-burning yellow school buses for electric models as a way of keeping the air cleaner and…

Read More

Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! How Hemp Can Save The Planet

Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! How Hemp Can Save The Planet

The hemp plant has been around for millenia. It was thought to be one of the original crops of the fertile crescent and, more recently, people were required to grow hemp in the United States during World War II. If you didn’t know that last fact, look up “Hemp for Victory” and look at the propaganda. Now, we’re inching back into industrial hemp farming with 13 states having re-legalized it. We’re still a far cry…

Read More

Yes, a Jobs Guarantee Could Create “Boondoggles.” It Also Might Save the Planet.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 3:34 pm BY Kate Aronoff A job guarantee—properly formulated—could give workers another option and help redefine what valuable, productive work looks like. (Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images)   In recent weeks, talk of a federal job guarantee has swept into the national political debate. Possible 2020 presidential hopefuls Sens. Kristen Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.) have both expressed their support for the idea, and Booker recently introduced legislation to create a job…

Read More

Nutrition 101, or how to save the planet | Herald Community Newspapers

Nutrition 101, or how to save the planet | Herald Community Newspapers

Scott Brinton In my two and a half decades of writing on the environment and pondering solutions to the pressing sustainability issues that our planet — and civilization — face, I never imagined that the answer to reversing our destructive course might lie in nutrition education. Yup, nutrition education. When I heard the case for it laid out in simple terms, though, I could only think, Duh? My son, Andrew, and I recently attended Academic…

Read More

10 things you can do to save the planet year-round now that the obligatory Earth Day fetes are over – San Gabriel Valley Tribune

10 things you can do to save the planet year-round now that the obligatory Earth Day fetes are over – San Gabriel Valley Tribune

Should preserving the planet upon which we live be relegated to one day? Chevy Bolt EV is first affordable all-electric car to go 238 miles on a charge. As seen at the LA Auto Show. (Photo by Walt Mancini/Pasadena Star-News/SCNG) Nah. In fact, most of those Earth Day celebrations last week are tantamount to easing polluter guilt or worse — astro-turf environmentalism. Earth-saving should be a lifelong commitment, like living healthy or rooting for your…

Read More
1 2 3 4 5 6 19